Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Week 6, Thing 14

I got so involved in searching for various keywords/tags in Technorati, that hours went by before I realized it. What a great tool for finding specific information in blogs.
I did the suggested keyword search for “School Library Learning 2.0”, and the results included 1,230 blog posts and 11 blogs, and countless tags which included photos. I loved the "everything in the known universe" phrase that is part of the tag search. I also found that the results constantly change, allowing for the most recent postings.
After this activity, I have concluded that tagging can be quite advantageous if used prudently and thoughtfully, creating an easy and efficient means to find information about a specific subject. However, I can also see a disadvantage when tagging is overused and tags are not created with logical terms. I think that is why I still marvel at the effectiveness of library organization. Keywords and subjects are logical and standard, with the added benefit of cross-references and local subjects. Does that make me an old-fashioned librarian?

No comments: