Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Week 6, Thing 13

Social bookmarking? Before exploring the del.icio.us site and completing the suggested tutorials, I thought social bookmarking was a way to rate and organize potential dates and online friends.
I am not convinced of the overall benefit of del.icio.us to me. I understand how it might assist one in organizing and retrieving favorite websites and finding similar sites, but I happen to be one of those people who do indeed keep their bookmarks well organized (alphabetical, appropriate subject folders, descriptive names, etc.). The primary advantage for me would be having access to my bookmarked sites from any computer. I do not foresee the service being used in my day-to-day Internet use, and I am also unclear as to how I would use the service with my students. It seems that there are better places to find related websites and better ways to share appropriate websites with students and/or colleagues. That is just my very humble opinion, and I am certainly open to the suggestions of other, more expereinced users of the service. I suppose it is always better to have many tool options in your toolbox, since no one tool can do everything for everybody.
I found these resources to be most helpful as I researched social bookmarking with del.icio.us:

Next up: technorati

No comments: