Thursday, July 12, 2007

Week 5, Thing 12

Rollyo is a fascinating tool and relatively easy to use. I like the idea of specific, preselected, appropriate, and safe sites for younger student to search rather than giving them free access to the entire Internet. I also can envision using it myself to find information rather than reinventing the wheel. I created a searchroll with preschool websites for this assignment.
However, as part of an online BREEZE class I took earlier this year through CTAP, I created a free Google webpage that serves some of the same purposes as Rollyo. It is a simple page with lists of links for various student projects. My students, staff, and parents love it since they can access it from any computer with an Internet connection. They can also save the lists to their own computers, since I created them in MS Word. Our network manager loves it because Google stores all the files and no one accesses our system; plus it does not add to his workload since I update and maintain the site myself.
The big advantage of Rollyo is that it allows one to search for keywords within the websites, and of course my simple lists of websites do not.

Here is a link to my Google elibrary webpage, but please remember that it is a work in progress.
Here is my Rollyo searchroll for preschool websites.

2 comments:

Bookworm said...

Google custom search

Bookworm said...

I ran out of time so here is the rest of the comment.
Give Google custom search a try. They will leave out the ads if you tell them it is for school.